Having announced the intention to introduce a container deposit scheme in Victoria nearly four years ago, Gippsland East Nationals MP, Tim Bull, said he was pleased it came to fruition last week.
“This was a Liberal and Nationals’ policy announced almost four years ago and, while it has taken Labor longer than hoped to get around to matching it, it is pleasing it has now commenced, despite much confusion,” he said.
“Locally, Tambo Waste has made a significant investment to support the Victorian Container Deposit Scheme (CDS), which will benefit local business, community clubs, groups, charities and individuals.
“The new technology, which I had the chance to have a look at this week, is incredible,” he said.
Tambo Waste group operations manager, Brad Duncan, said the new equipment sorts each item individually into the correct bin.
“You can bring cans, plastic bottles, glass bottles in here and the machine will count the exact number of containers passing through at a rate of 350 containers per minute. Then you get a receipt, punch it into the machine and you can get your cash directly or donate it to a sporting club or charity.
“Uncrushed cans are preferable for the counting process, but we will also accept crushed cans and plastics. The depots, like ours in McMillan Street Lucknow are preferable to the vending machines, which are unmanned, cannot take flattened containers or dispense cash returns,” Mr Duncan said.
Collection points are located at:
• Tambo Waste - Container Deposit Depot, McMillan Street, Lucknow
• Lakes Entrance - Reverse Vending Machine in Woolworths’ carpark
• Bairnsdale Landfill (Tip Shop) - 200 Johnstons Road, Forge Creek
• Maffra Scout Hall - 8 Johnson Street, Maffra
• Stratford Transfer Station and Recycling Facility - 93 Wyndham Street, Stratford
• Swifts Creek - Albion Hotel
• Omeo - Crazy Cow Café and Bakery - 194 Day Avenue
• Orbost Reverse Vending Machine - 168 Nicholson Street
Mr Bull said there were possibly going to be additional areas in the region, but the government did not have specifics at the time of media.
Monday, 6 November 2023