Five CFA brigades, three Coast Guard flotillas and two SES units across the Gippsland East electorate will receive funding under the latest round of the Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program (VESEP).
State Nationals MP Tim Bull said it was important local emergency services were well equipped, with an increased risk of grassfires forecast this summer following a wet winter and spring.
“These grants will allow recipients to purchase critical operational equipment and appliances to help serve and protect our local communities ahead of the approaching fire season,” Mr Bull said.
“East Gippsland volunteer emergency services will share in almost $940,000 of funding for vehicles and appliances and minor facility improvements that will ensure local emergency response capabilities are well equipped and supported.
“The VESEP provides $2 for every $1 raised by local units and brigades whom do an extraordinary amount of their own fundraising throughout the year.”
The successful CFA brigades, Coast Guard and SES units were:
• Bairnsdale SES: $150,000 towards vehicles and appliances
• Bemm River CFA: $8667 towards minor facility improvements
• Bendoc CFA: $20,000 towards operational equipment
• Bengworden CFA: $80,000 towards minor facility improvements
• Lakes Entrance Coast Guard: $10,830 minor facility improvements
• Maffra SES: $68,061 towards upgrading vehicles and appliances
• Mallacoota Coast Guard: $20,478 towards vehicles appliances and vessels
• Mount Taylor CFA: $195,000 towards vehicles and appliances
• Paynesville Coast Guard: $64,155 towards operational equipment
• Omeo CFA: $195,000 towards vehicles and appliances
“I congratulate local CFA brigades, Coast Guard flotillas and SES units who have done the hard yards not only to fundraise towards these grants, but who protect our communities in our hour of need,” Mr Bull said.
“We rely heavily on our amazing volunteers to protect us from fires, floods and natural disasters and it is important that we support those who support us.”
Monday, 8 November 2021